Okay, I was 16 four year ago. So a lot of advice people tend to aim at their 16 year old selves still applies to 20 year old me. But I'll try!
If you're going to dye your hair... Do something to your eyebrows.
- 16 means that you've just finished Transition Year in school. You weren't even sure whether to do it or not, but it changes you so much. You finally have the confidence to actually speak up & you've made brilliant friends - It's the first time you feel 100% happy.
- Stop worrying. Seriously, you are not fat, your face is not spotty, your skin is not scarily pale, your chest is not too big, your hair is not horrible.. Etc. You'll still have some of these worries long after, but it's your body. If you're unhappy with something, either accept it or change it.
- SMILE! Sweet Jesus, seriously. Okay, you hate your teeth. And yes, they are bad, but you get them fixed and it's one of the best decisions ever. But still, learn how to do a smile without showing your teeth, at least. (Just look at the above photo - You look so grumpy.)
- Keep focused in school. You basically get by on your natural intelligence, which is all well & good, but it means when you go to college... You don't know how to study things you don't like. But keep up your habit of working throughout the year & not just cramming, because when you do need to cram.. Your work will pay off.
- Don't hold grudges. Right now, you're very annoyed with people who still bring up things that happened years ago, and you've decided life is far too short to hold on to things. If something annoys it, say so. If you don't want to say so... It's not important enough to keep thinking about.
- See your nanny as much as possible. You do try, but it's easy to let life get in the way. This is your last year with her, after she brought you up. It's going to be horrible to see her deteriorate, but stay with her. You will want all the memories possible.
- Don't eat cereal near your laptop. Funnily enough, it takes spilling milk all over your laptop TWICE before you think maybe it's not a good idea.
- You take up rowing this summer, and you're still doing it when you're older. You love it & you're massively involved with it (It takes over your summers but you don't resent it!) You finally have a sport that doesn't revolve around a group of bitchy girls getting what they want because of their parents & you make really good friends through it.
- Mind yourself. Once you go to college, you're so worried about your friends & family & work & study that you forget about you. You will end up quite sick - And still won't tell anyone, in case you worry them. Twenty year old you still doesn't want to cause any one else a minute of worry, but if that's the way you're going to be, make sure you worry about yourself.
- Just be happy. If you want to do something - Do it! Dye your hair pink, get piercings, flirt, stay up all night, go crazy - Right now, you have the time & energy to do anything. Use it. :)
Love your future self (who still needs to remember these things!)
It's really weird putting x's on a message to yourself.
This was also supposed to go up yesterday but I scheduled it wrong.. Oops!