1/04/2013

Not So Lovely Stuff.

Every once in a while, a few things come around that really, really infuriate me. And today, that thing was the "My daddy works for KMPG" video. I won't share the video here, because I don't want to spread it further but I'm sure a lot of people have already seen it. For those of you who haven't, it's a video of a drunk girl, informing people that they are 'plebs' and 'povs', whereas her dad is the highest earning partner in KPMG.

It caused quite the reaction on social media; Simply post a tweet that includes 'KPMG' & you'll get a few instant favourites, retweets or replies. There are people slagging her, people defending her & the few idiots that turn up to offer forward death threats. Quite frankly, I'm not here to deal with the reactions to the video or the abuse that girl received. I just want to address her comments.

Without trying to be too stereotypical, this girl can be seen as a D4 - With a sense of entitlement. I went on a bit of a Twitter rant , because I've come across people like this, all too regularly. They're the ones whose parents pay for everything, the ones who presumed they'd always go to college 'just because' and never worried about how to pay for it. They're the ones who looked down on me for growing up in a mobile home,  or for picking strawberries while applying for other jobs. They're the kind of people who made me doubt my college choices in the first place.

Since fourth year, I knew what I wanted to do - I wanted Law & German, in Trinity. BUT I was afraid. Afraid that it would be full of snobs. I'm delighted to say that, for the most part, I was wrong. I've met some of the most down to earth people here (even the ones whose parents fork out or college for them aren't all bad!) but simultaneously, there are a few arrogant idiots.

Last year, I was having a few more doubts, once I got to college. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to afford the next accommodation payment, or that paying back my student loan would become more of a struggle. Listening to people wither on about who had and hadn't gone to private school, and how they demanded a Mac for college, and I felt considerably out of my depth.

But you know something? Screw them. I'm proud of where I come from - I might have grown up in a bedroom under 3 feet square, but I would never look down on my parents for bringing me up there while saving for a house. I might have to work every weekend & holiday, and give up on nights out to babysit, but I love my job and I appreciate my degree because I'm paying for it. And I might have to rely on help financially, in the form of charity & a grant - But I am working hard, so I can afford to get a job I want & repay all the help I receive.

I won't lie - I am doing my degree with the hope that one day, I will have a well-paid job & be financially secure. But I will never, ever forget where I come from and I truly appreciate that my parents brought me up,  not with money, but with class. Because there are some things that money really cannot buy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

17 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. The fact that we earn our place and appreciate what we have means more than anything. You will always meet idiots more concerned with having the latest shite gadget and spending the equivalent amount on a night out without any fear of repercussions. I respect you so much more knowing how hard you pushed yourself to get into college. You earned your place and you deserve to do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people look back & realise that they were very lucky to be sent to private school or had college paid for, while they might not have appreciated it at the time, but there's no need to dismiss people not as fortunate. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Hun, you articulated perfectly how a lot of people feel about this. The video has actually been taken down so I didn't see it but I'm glad I didn't. That kind of attitude enrages me- someone who has had a privileged upbringing and chooses to look down on those who haven't- it's disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe, as with most things online it can still be found but I don't think the girl deserves any more embarrassment about her actions. It might make her realise that her attitude isn't appreciated though.

      Delete
  3. Such a great post. I come from a fairly poor background and I worry people will look down at me for that, and unfortunately at my university there ARE a lot of rich arrogant people. But I'd feel more proud to climb the financial ladder myself than to just float at the top! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I agree completely that at the end of the day, not having education handed to you makes you appreciate it more x

      Delete
  4. As a poor student I consoled myself that there is a nobility in a student's poverty. As a student who pays for your own school, you are concerning yourself with a higher purpose, and you face great challenges, I think it is heroic. I can tell from this writing that you have high ideals, and I am confident that your hard work will indeed reap big rewards. You will be empathetic to others who work hard for what they have too, this too will serve you well : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, hopefully it does pay off!

      Delete
  5. Excellently said. I also studied law at university and at times felt a wee bit intimidated by the clique-y nature of some of my class mates who came from more affluent backgrounds. I tried to use it as motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's very definitely a clique-y attitude, since a lot of people know each other already & stick together. That can't last though!

      Delete
    2. That's exactly it! Particularly with a lot of law students coming from families with legal backgrounds and a lot of contacts. Can be hard to break through. Unfortunately the old saying - It's not what you know it's who you know seems to still be lingering on in the legal world.
      Anyway I really enjoyed your post - best of luck with the rest of your degree!

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately some people only ever learn through losing it all. I think buying/receiving something after you worked hard for it, makes you truly appreciate it, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't wish that anyone would lose what they have but it does take a shock to appreciate it sometimes. I agree that when you work for something, you're less likely to take it for granted x

      Delete
  7. I think hard workers are hard workers irrespective of their background. We need to stop trying to generalise people based on their backgrounds. I am also a law student and saw those who came from privileged backgrounds also putting in hard work, often harder than those who did not come from a privileged background, many student loans are beer loans. I think many 'middle class' feel they needed to prove themselves, probably because of the type of bias and generalisations that come with being 'middle class', something which is clear from this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Quite frankly, if you have criticism, I'd rather reply to someone who puts their name to it.
      "Many student loans are beer loans" - Bit of a generalisation yourself. Also, a loan is repaid - It shouldn't matter what it's spent on.
      If you'd like to point out where exactly I wrote that privileged students don't work hard, I'd be grateful. I have no problem with people who can afford college easily, once they appreciate that fact.
      Also, I never mentioned 'middle class'. I'd rather not stereotype people by an outdated idea of 'class'.
      I think your comment shows just how 'middle class' people think that they're judged harshly by those not in a similar position, which I never implied in my original post.

      Delete
  8. You know I live about two minutes walk south of "Dublin 4", and I grew up in a 3 sqr meter bedroom. I never was allowed an X-box or Playstation, because if I ever asked for anything extravagant I'd get put in my place pretty quickly. I always had good clothes put on my back, good food in my belly, a good education and warm place to sleep. Outside that, the only purchases I never ever had to justify were books and always had to convincingly explain myself if I wanted a phone or laptop. Though my parents always had enough money, that didn't mean that they were willing to throw it away. And if I ever was truly unhappy, the issue was talked through.

    I am upper middle class, and I can see why other people from my neck of the woods have a really bad reputation. Bad parenting is the issue. If the child cries, throw a gameboy at him. If he shouts, put an LCD TV and Sky Plus box in his bedroom. If he does badly in school, get him some grinds. Money can't solve every problem, and it never should be a substitute for good parenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how Dublin 4 or the surrounding areas are relevant? Also as I said in a previous comment, I don't believe in classifying people by 'middle class', 'working class', etc.
      Your comment is interesting, and I think it reiterates what I said - Money doesn't buy class,it's something which is instilled in you, hopefully by your parents. Not having money doesn't guarantee instant respect for it, and neither does having it.

      Delete

Don't by shy - comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...